Mulberry Talent Partners has joined with our client, a company based out of Portland, OR to identify a Payroll & Benefits Manager to join their team. This is a remote, full-time, long term contract opportunity. Duration is anticipated to be at least six months, possibly twelve months. And possible full-time hire! The Payroll & Benefits Manager is responsible for evaluating, researching, developing, managing, and administrating the company’s benefits and payroll. This position leads communication and change across the organization, to all levels and locations of staff. An individual in this role possesses technical strength in the areas of payroll, benefits, and wellness programs. Success in this role depends heavily on the ability to inspire and support others through effective teamwork, respect, credibility, clear communication, and shared accountability. This position will report to the Director, HR Operations and Total Rewards.
- Ownership of semimonthly payroll management and administration
- Accurately manage the time management system and tracking of hours (Paid Time Off, Over-time, FMLA, etc.)
- Works as the liaison for org wide time tracking work (reporting needs, updates to tracking requirements, etc.)
- Onboarding of new staff members
- Proactively communicate Payroll and related guidelines, procedures, and other communications to stakeholders; respond to ad-hoc queries
- Partner on large-scale HR projects and programs such as Merit, Promotions and Equity adjustments, Performance Management administration, etc.
- Act as a liaison to the Finance and Risk/Audit teams on a myriad of issues including general ledger reporting as it relates to payroll and benefits and workers’ compensation rates and audits
- Assess needs, evaluate processes, and make recommendations for changes/enhancements to processes and applications related to payroll, time management and online benefits in coordination with the Director, HR Operations and Total Rewards
- Administration of parental FMLA and other leave related processes and paperwork
- Processing of new hires, seasonal employees, department transfers, promotions, and increases
- Employment verifications and employee references
- PTO Administration – tracking, working with staff and troubleshooting issues
- Monthly PTO liability reconciliation with finance
- Assist with HR and Payroll related audits throughout the year
- Serve as primary contact and SME for staff regarding enrollments, claims issues and general questions
- In partnership with the Director, ensures compliance with all federal, state, and local laws pertaining to employee benefit plans, retirement plans and wellness programs
- Conduct plan audits and prepare/distribute/file compliance materials (i.e., SPDs, 5500 testing materials, etc.)
- Serve as backup for 403b administration and annual ERISA audits
- Tracking Wellness initiatives and activities
- Assists with the planning and delivery of employee benefits programs processes and ongoing Benefit and Wellness fairs, etc.
- Accountable for ongoing audit and evaluation of existing benefits programs and practices
- Partner on annual Open Enrollment campaign, ongoing new staff enrollments; lead COBRA processes, terminations, and changes
- Prepare benefit invoices for payment and update employee benefit information with vendors including reconciliation and notifications
- Monthly cost allocation reports for finance regarding medical/dental/vision benefits
- Maintenance of employee benefit files and updating of employee payroll records
- Support for HR, Payroll and Benefits compliance and related communications
- Ongoing data compiling, analysis, troubleshooting, auditing, and reconciliation
- Coordination of staff related organizational changes with enterprise’s system owners, ensure accuracy of data in system of record (HRMS)
- Support ongoing development and implementation of new HRMS tools and features; create and deliver training and system related communications to staff
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Finance, Accounting or Human Resources or an equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered in lieu of a degree
- 4+ years of experience in payroll and benefits programs in a medium sized organization
- Benefits certification preferred
- Advanced knowledge of US benefits and retirement laws
- Minimum 5 years’ experience running payroll, time management, and HR information systems; Paylocity experience preferred
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent analytical skills with ability to sort through high volume of electronic data and make recommendations based on trends in data.
- Highly proficient with MS Office Suite. Intermediate to advanced level skills in MS Excel with ability to use formulas, pivot tables and v-lookups.
Compensation Rate: $48-$50/hr.